Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sun(ny)day

Actually, it's overcast here today. But I did start the day off by taking a yoga class. Usually this is a completely blissful experience. Today, however, I'm not sure what to think of it. I signed up for a free 1 week membership at a new Big gym in the area (one of the commercial ones). The gym is beautiful, reminds me of my days at WOW. Theye even have a seperate section for ladies to work out in (behind closed doors). Lots of fitness classes, spinning room and a pool. They also have a mind/body room. So I decided to take a vinyasa flow class. It was packed, I mean we were literally mat to mat. So I keep telling myself to leave everything outside the door, including the fact that I'm a teacher. I have been able to do this in the past, but with 3 women that I consider to be my teachers. (meaning I took their classes before I was a teacher). I could not do this today. So I struggled with my practice. I was concerned for the students in the class because I thought the instruction was not exactly clear. Don't get me wrong, all the teacher did was talk, but it was not clear enough. This gets me to thinking, are my directions clear enough? Do I talk too much? not enough? One thing I did take issue with was a comment I heard from the teacher. She was saying something about everyone being at different places in their hip flexibility (very true), but then she muttered (I happen to hear this), I can't tell what your indivigual flexebility is, and I shouldn't have to. Hmmm, that doesn't sound very good. I think teacher's should let their students be where they are in their own practices. Yet we are there to guide and sometimes give a gentle nudge. I don't necessarily mean a physical nudge, maybe just a suggestion. Am I being to critical? Did I learn something from this class? I think so, I think I did. I still felt open and happy afterwards, so I feel she did her job.
On the knitting front, sorry to harp on the poncho, but I think I'm going to try something different with it. I'll let you know how it comes out.

2 comments:

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

That seems a little odd. I often go to class and "checkout" and jsut go with the experience, but it is hard to be on the mat when you feel like the person at the front of the room doesn't "get" what yoga is all about. When you have worry about the safety of yourself or others in the room... I would say something to the management. I would also walk away with it as a learning experience for yourself as a teacher. :)

Becca said...

Thanks nessie! I spoke with one of my students last night who is also a teacher. She said the woman is probably an aerobic instructor who probably got a weekend certification and teaches. I used alot of the mistakes to reevaluate my teaching last night, so yes, it was a learning experience! Hope your training is going well!!!!