Friday, March 31, 2006

Momma don't let your children grow up to be pharmacists


Oy. What a week it has been. Vacation is coming soon. I can't wait. Being a pharmacist is such a thankless job. I have been doing this for a long time now. I have to say in the past 8 years customers have become outrageous. Someone needs to do a tv reality show called, "customers behaving badly." It is my belief that I get treated poorly partially because I am of the female persuasion. How can I, a female, be a pharmacist? I'm serious here. I also get talked to like I'm a piece of dirt on the bottom of someone's shoe. What do I know? I just went to school for this. Worked my butt of for this. Lost hundreds of hours of sleep studying for this. Had to take not 1 but 2 (that's right 2) licensure exams to practice pharmacy. So two very hard, very long tests. We get no credit. I get it, we're not doctors. Great I don't claim to be. I claim only to do my job. What's that you ask. Dump some pills in a vial? (in the words of Bugsbunny- hey this blog is called Happiknits) O contrair mofrair. There's alot going on behind that pharmacy bench. I won't bore you with the details. But I take my job very seriously. Kitty, takes my job very seriously. I will say this and no more. Be nice to your pharmacist. They work very hard. They have to multitask. They are under alot of pressure. They get treated like dirt. They become a pharmacist to help people. The corperation they work for is after the cash, not them, they just work there. They don't get a lunch break. They work 12-14 hour shifts without a break. They stand most of that shift. Some of them are so busy they are lucky to get a bathroom break, let alone shove a sandwich down their throat inbetween scripts. Because your child's amoxil rx is more important to them then taking time out for the basic needs for humans (food and bathroom breaks). So just remember that the next time you get pissed at the pharmacist because your copay is higher than it was the last time. jeesh. Too heavy of a post? sorry, had to vent it.

1 comment:

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

I didn't become a pharmacist so much to help people as I did for the nice steady fat paycheck. Sometimes I'll help a person if I'm in a good mood, but I'm pretty much in it for the money.